View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Z View Post
I'm guessing one would have to think long and hard about using this kind of drug for something like psoriasis, especially after these recent PML cases.

Harry
I really can't imagine why anyone with (just) psoriasis would even consider a drug that could potentially maim or kill them . . . then again, I don't know how severe of a medical issue this can be for some people. I always thought it was just an uncomfortable (sometimes painful) and unsightly skin condition.

I think the dermatologist in the article raises a very valid point that some people don't seem to consider when evaluating the risk associated with these new drugs:

Quote:
The timing of the PML onset was especially troubling because of what it suggests about the true risk, said Craig L. Leonardi, M.D., a dermatologist at Saint Louis University in St. Louis.

He noted that efalizumab exposure is often estimated at 46,000 worldwide, but he said that only about 400 patients have been treated with efalizumab for four years and the number treated for three years is about 1,100.

"If you are talking about three out of 1,100 that is a very different number than three out of 46,000," Dr. Leonardi said.
Risk needs to be calculated on the mean amount of time people have been on the drug, NOT simply on the basis of how many people have tried the drug (for 15 minutes or more).

Quote:
Both Dr. Leonardi and Dr. Koo said it was time to get proactive in advising patients to get off efalizumab rather than simply "giving them the choice."
While this might be a good "recommendation", I still think it should be up to the patient to make the decision for themselves.

Cherie