View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwild View Post
Does that make them bad medicines if a known side effect is possibility of PML? Should they be withdrawn from market because they MIGHT cause a patient to be more susceptible to PML? Should the patient not have their choice? Should one drug be singled out because of PML when it's a known side effect of MABs? Maybe they need to be tried first instead of after other drugs?
One of the leading causes of the death in the US is prescription medications, due to deadly combinations, overdose, allergic reactions, etc. or simply as a "side-effect" of the med. I think most people accept there is risk with everything we take, and that the risk must be weighed up against the potential benefit.

For instance Chemo can kill, but leaving the cancer untreated is MORE likely to cause death. That choice isn't so difficult ...

Psoriasis is very unlikely to reduce life expectancy or kill the patient, so the risk/benefit considerations for using this kind of med are quite a different scenario. Then again, if the patient is suffering to the point that life is hardly worth living, and the drug can potentially change that substantially, that is an important consideration too.

Unfortunately, it is not ONLY the "last resort" patients that are recommended these very risky meds. The goal of any company is to get as many people as possible on their med, and they do this by down-playing any deadly "side-effects". They direct their marketing efforts to focusing on the potential advantages (over other drugs), and human nature being what it is, we will often choose the "best bang for our buck".

At the end of the day though, if people are fully informed of the risk they are taking, I agree they should have the choice. However, that requires that there is FULL DISCLOSURE on the true risk, i.e. not 3 cases out of 46,000 (as was stated in this article), but 3 cases in 1,100 (over three years).

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (02-12-2009)