http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group.../message/43911

http://hometown.aol.com/abe11/Davesindex.html

A Newspaper article about me.

Oswego & Montgomery IL.
"The Sun"
Friday, May 5, 2000
By Stacy M. Strunk
SUN CORRESPONDENT
When Oswego resident David Abell was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) in 1996, it brought his naval career to a premature end. It began as a weakness in his right hand that would eventually spread to his left hand and then his legs. He didn't realize, at first, that ALS becomes both jailor and executioner for most patients.
"I didn't think I was going to die," said David. "I thought there would be a prescription that will take care of it."
ALS, more commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease, is a progressive neuromuscular disease in which specialized nerve cells controlling movement of voluntary muscles gradually cease functioning and atrophy.
Eventually, the paralysis will also affect the muscles used in breathing and the patient will die of respiratory problems. According to the Les Turner ALS Foundation, the average survival rate is three to five years, although many people live 10 or even 20 years after a diagnosis is made.
No matter how severe the paralysis becomes, an ALS patient maintains his sensations, vision, sexual function and intellect.
"Because the muscles are withering and atrophying, they become prisoners in their own bodies," said Jerry Abell, David's father.
There is no cure, but many of the symptoms are treatable and new drugs are being tested all the time. For instance, David took part in a drug study at Northwestern University Center for Clinical Research. He was testing Sanofi, which was supposed to slow the progression of ALS.
There are also new technologies available that make living with ALS easier. Abell's doctor recommended he buy a computer to help him keep busy.
He has an Eyegaze System, which uses his eye movements to control the computer. By looking at control keys displayed on a screen, he can synthesize speech, control the lights and appliances in his home, type, operate a phone, run computer software and access the Internet and his e-mail.
"I use Eyegaze for all of the above," said David. "It is my link to the world."
"I got info on ALS from the Internet," he said. "I contacted the MDA. They were very helpful. And I slowly began to accept the fact that I was losing my physical abilities."
The computer system was a blessing for David, said Jerry. Until he received the system, his father had to Velcro the computer mouse to David's left hand, which still had a little strength in it.
"It has been frustrating at times," said David, "but I try to focus on what I can do rather than what I can no longer do. I've had to accept help and re-evaluate what is important in life."
Help from others
Help has come in many forms. The ALS Association provided books on ALS management and other resources. The Paralyzed Veterans of America have helped him receive his Veterans Administration benefits. And the V.A. provides David with medical care.
"Although it is 40 miles away and frustrating dealing with all the paperwork and bureaucracy, I don't know how I would afford all of the services I receive without the V.A.," he said.
The V.A. helped build his wheelchair-accessible home and buy a van with a wheelchair lift. It also provided a powered wheelchair, a ventilator and the computer he uses for everything.
Even with the help David receives, it isn't easy dealing with ALS, especially for the people who love him.
"It hasn't been a good situation," Jerry said. "But we've gotten to know each other a lot better, I know that."
David said re-evaluating his priorities has reminded him how grateful he is for his family and friends, many of whom are taking part in a fund-raiser for the Les Turner ALS Foundation. The Tag Days fund-raiser on Saturday and Sunday in Montgomery and Oswego will raise awareness and money for the treatment of ALS. Similar fund-raisers will be taking place throughout Chicago during May.
"If there is going to be a cure for ALS, it is going to require money from private donations," said David. "The government can only do so much."
"With the advances being made in research and medicine today, there is hope that a cure will be found in the near future," he said.
For now, David said, he will continue to make the most of the time he has.

I have had a trach & ventilator since Jan. 2000. I use a Shiley 6cfs cuffless trach & I can still talk. My speech is not clear because of my tongue weakness but my volume is better because the vent gives me more air. I had a peg G-tube put in before the trach (Oct. 99) and haven't eaten by mouth since then because of swallowing troubles but I can still drink Pepsi or water if I want. I have to tuck my chin down to swallow & I don't take a lot. I use an Nellcor Puritan-Bennett LP-10 Ventilator. It is small enough to fit on the back of my wheelchair and has an internal battery backup and an external battery that can go for 6 - 8 hours so I can go out and about. Having a vent is not as hard as many think. It requires some training to learn how to operate and suctioning but my family and caregivers were able to learn fairly quickly. I'll be happy to answer any questions about ALS.

Take care,
David

I created a page and means to recognize our friend David. You may wish
to make a donation in memory of David elsewhere, but I wanted to make
sure that there is a place where donations that will benefit PALS can
be made in his memory. Go to: http://web.alsa.org/goto/David.Abell

Gamboachuck aka Chuck Hummer

ALS/MND Registry

Last edited by BobbyB; 12-10-2006 at 11:21 AM.
BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote