View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 04:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

~Erin: I really wish I could give some good advice for you..to my knowledge, the only thing that will make the "moon face" go away is decreasing the dose of steroids. The dose you are taking is pretty high(although it is considered a normal dose).

Prednisone causes sodium retention and K+ excretion..you get more potassium onboard and you'll excrete more sodium..the water will follow the sodium..But potassium you have to be careful with. You take too much and it can really, really make you sick.

You can try to decrease your sodium intake, that is if you are consuming more than your daily recommendation(something like 2400mg). Ice, to my knowledge, will not help at all. It may, because it will decrease bloodflow to the area because of the blood vessel constriction...but I do not think it'll be significant.

I wish I could give you some better information but that's all I've got. I've been a pediatric nurse since I graduated and I've only had two kids that were steroid dependent. When I get home I'll try and dig around in some books or ask around the next time I get to the hospital.
Gdbyrd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
erinhermes (02-12-2009)