View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 12:49 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legzzalot View Post
See if he was a girl I would have all kinds of fun craft ideas for you. I know nothing about boys! (other than they are mean, smell like boys and like to make messes). Decoupage maybe?

My 14 yr old nephew is really into science. He also still loves legos. But most days you can find him in front of a video game or outside playing football. What if he is kind of the ring leader for the smaller kids? Like playing red light green light? He can be the one calling the shots?

Or... you know Uno is a wonderful game I don't care how old you are!
Thanks, Legz. Yeah, he might be interested in being a helper.

He might have some good lego building ideas that he could share with younger kids.

And, I do sometimes do group games during center time, such as Mother May I, Duck Duck Goose, etc. I haven't tried Red Light, Green Light. We don't have a gym, or a very big area of floor space for a running game indoors. That might be something we could do outside, during recess. I don't generally offer anything structured during that time, but, I can see that he might be bored there, too.

Indoors (your post has me "thinking out loud" here, using your ideas, and Doydie's:
- Your lego idea

- Some group games

- Reading to kids

- Maybe he could also help conduct a science experiment that I plan.

I usually have 4 centers going at a time (15 minutes each). with no more than 4 kids per center. When 15 minutes is up, they rotate to the next center. Often, in 3 of the centers, the kids play pretty independently. I try to plan one center, most days, that requires more teacher assistance.

I'm not sure if he'd be interested in the helper thing, or not. But, I can do some brainstorming with him, and see what he thinks.

Being a helper might also be a good idea for one of my 4th graders, who would probably do well with that too. She sometimes requests to just go to an independent 5th center, and read a book or do homework. Maybe I could think of some independent ideas for him too.

~ Faith
Began receiving SSDI 11/2008

Last edited by FaithS; 02-13-2009 at 01:08 AM.
FaithS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote