View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 07:20 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Unhappy No puppy for me...(gee, thanks Dad)

I just talked to my dad before he left for work.

He's decided that he cant just get the dog because he wants it. He's been thinking a lot about it since yesterday, just like I was.

The reason that we're not going to get the dog isnt my MS...my mom is probably the biggest factor for why we're not going to get him. (good thing we didnt tell her about him)

My mom is in her late 60s. She's had two knee surgeries, a bad back, she might possibly be early stage alzheimers too. (or just brain damage from a head injury she had 50yrs ago is finally starting to really show up)

She can be extremely stubborn, and has REALLY BAD judgment when it comes to what she can do, especially with a large dog. Tiny had hurt her once or twice just knocking her down while being a big goofball. She also had accidentally set him free a few times when she'd take him outside unsupervised by either my dad or me.

My big fear, and I guess it's my dad's, is that she'll get stupid one afternoon if my dad and I arent home, and she'll take the new puppy out, and he'd be a typical bouvier and he'd either knock her down in a fit of silliness, or he'll be like Tiny with a strong chase instinct and he'd go after a bus or a loud car and drag her into the rose bushes or the street or something.

My mom is too frail to have such a large dog like a bouvier. She really cant be trusted around a large dog.

I had pretty much nearly convinced myself last night that I wanted this dog. I was picking out names, and trying to figure out if I wanted to train him in English and sign language like I did with Tiny. So, I tried for about 10 or 15 minutes to convince my dad that I thought I could be a dogMom again.

Since my dad would be the one paying for the dog, and paying the insurance that the city pretty much requires people to have for a large dog. He's the one with the final say.

I'm a bit disappointed. Now I wish he had just listened to me for the past 3 years when I'd told him I was considering a much smaller dog (20 pounds or less. Something my mom could have handled) I wish he hadnt told me about the puppy and had me fantasizing about having another bouvier.

My dad and I were talking about it this morning, and I can tell he wanted the dog, and he could tell that I wanted the dog, but that my mom's health situation and my health situation were what was making me hesitate. He's going to tell the breeder today about me having MS and about my mom her...problems...and that it's probably mostly my mom and her lack of judgment that's what's going to keep us from taking the puppy.

My dad said that he'll pay for me to go to the allergist and see if I am allergic to dogs. If I'm not allergic, then we might start to shop for a smaller more mom-sized kind of a dog. (I'm thinking lhasa apso or poodle...maybe a pug)

You have no idea how much I wanted this puppy. So much that I can just imagine how cute he is and was almost dreaming about obedience training with him last night. I can almost smell the bouvier fart smell that it'll probably be doing while sleeping. (you have not truly experienced a bouvier until it's farted in close proximity to you. They could bottle that smell and send it to Gitmo...the bad guys would give up and tell everything they know after a few sniffs of that. Bouvier farts could probably be considered a weapon of mass destruction and would be banned by the United Nations.)

I agree with my dad tho...we cant do it with my mom and the way she is. We're going to need a much smaller dog (maybe something small enough that she can pick up and carry, instead of a dog that's big enough to drag her to the pet store and back without breaking a sweat)

It's just the nostalgia of TinyMonsters that's making me want another bouvier. I'm also scared that I'd be comparing that puppy to Tiny so much that I'd be disappointed when it wasnt the same as Tiny. Not really fair to the puppy.

Now I'm in a big puppy mood. Maybe I'll go crochet myself a dog today. We're going to have a blizzard start in a few hours. I have a lot of yarn, and a big bag of polyfil stuffing for toys and I'm going to have a lot of free time today. Maybe I'll just make myself a yarn dog. Maybe I'll make myself a litter of them.

I think I'm going back to bed. Fell asleep at 3am, woke up at 5am when I heard my dad upstairs getting ready for work. I think I need the naptime now. Maybe I'll dream of playing with Tiny.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (02-13-2009), SallyC (02-13-2009)