View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 09:39 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks, Ali and Jaspar.

Ali -- Yeah; we have one computer that 16 kids can take turns on. Sort of a reward for good behavior. But, that gives them, maybe, one 15 minute turn per week.

I'm hopeful that the helping with younger children thing can work. I'd need to be careful about who I matched him with, and how many kids, because I don't want him to have to deal with their behavior problems. I've only been working there about a month. I've been told that, in less than 2 years, they've had 5-7 different lead teachers in that classromm; so, not much consistency. They have also not had much structure in that classroom before, and the director put me in there, hoping that I could provide that by using the center idea. The first few weeks were more chaotic, but, as we seem to be getting into a routine, discipline problems seem to be decreasing, and the flow seems to be going better.

I've never heard of wooden paper airplanes. Not sure that we have the budget for major craft supplies, or, that it would be fair to purchase something just for him and not others. You could tell me more about "re paper models" (what's that?). And, making cards -- are you talking about greeting cards? We have construction paper available.

I don't really know who he'd present a project to. As I said, most kids are K-2. I have one third grader and fourth grader, but he's the only one in his age group. His mom works out of town, in the next county, and is just not comfortable leaving him home alone if something should happen.

Ali, it's good to hear from someone a similar age. Thanks for your input.

Jaspar -- Yeah; doing homework is always an option. Could mean he'd have more time for fun at home. I'd still like to offer some fun things at the after school program too.

MY DS17 has a magnet shape construction toy that he used to enjoy when he was younger that he says I could take. I'm considering it, but it has so many small pieces; and sometimes the kids aren't careful about that. Maybe, if I let him play with it together with just one other kid, by themselves, and had to have an older kid playing, because of the small pieces, and because it does not belong to the child care center, that might work.

~ Faith
Began receiving SSDI 11/2008
FaithS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote