View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 10:02 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinGoofy View Post
Nikkey,
I prayed that God would give you some peace about this decision you are having to make.
When you said "I keep thinking you will never be ready and if you pass this up you will just go through all of this again"

You are so right about that. you will never be ready to put Lynn someplace else. I remember at work one day I was walking across that back parking lot and this lady and her daughter was walking away from the building that we have our memory care residents in. They both were crying. I asked them if I could help them and the older lady explained that she had just moved into the independent living and had put her husband in the alzheimers unit.

She just talked and talked and was saying the exact things that you have been saying. All i could do was listen and give her and her daughter a big hug and assure them that they had done the right thing.
Her name is JoAnn. It took about a week but Joanns husband did adjust. I dont think you need to stay away a whole week, but a couple days would make things easier for Lynn. And dont be surprised that the first time you visit That Lynn will tell you all the horrible things they are doing and how mean the staff is and how bad the food is...... (its not true!!!)

Lynn will get ALOT of stimulation there. We do many different activities with our residents and the nurses are constantly checking them making sure their physical needs are being taken care of. As you know its a 24/7 job and one person just can NOT do it alone.
Back to Joann.... her and I have become very close. She just recently had to move her husband to another facility. He is in the last stages of alzheimers and she moved him to the Veterans Center. They have a wing for memory care people and she got assistance from the Veterans to help with the financial end of it.
I agree with you about hating Alzheimers. Its an evil disease. It steals your mind and slowly shuts down your body. My thoughts are still pretty scattered. I wish I could put you in touch with Joann. She is such a neat lady. I have to leave for work, today is our valentines parties. It will be a very busy day for sure.
You are in my thoughts and prayers Nikki....
You are in an awful place right now Nikki, but it will get better as you see Lynn adjust to his new surroundings. In the meantime be as good to yourself as posssible. Take something to help you sleep, if you can. My thoughts are with you.
barbo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Abbie (02-13-2009), Addy (02-13-2009), Alffe (02-13-2009), Burntmarshmallow (02-13-2009), Curious (02-13-2009), GmaSue (02-15-2009), mistiis (02-14-2009), Nik-key (02-13-2009), who moi (02-13-2009)