View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006, 11:19 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hey Roz.

Please don't delete it, and I'm terribly sorry for leaving the wrong impression.

Whenever possible, my posts list things in order of importance to me, and your posting it didn't raise my fears; the fact the abstract was written with negative connotations but no suggested solutions for our need for opiods was upsetting.

My main point in posting was to make some suggestions about one way to read and sort out research from opinion and why I don't think this abstract really tells us anything, but equally important (to me) was to pass on what I've learned about delaying opiate toleration.

Nearly all of my pain is from spinal nerve injuries and can be managed with opiods, so I'm (kinda) lucky there. I know, however, that most people here suffer RSD pain that opiods barely touch.

Reading that last paragraph makes me realize how pretentionous I must seem when I appear to be lecturing RSD people about pain, but I think my point is still valid; especially when I talk about side-effects eventually becoming greater than the original problem. (I'm talking about years of opiod use).

I have heard from nurses about cancer patients who finally refuse morphine because of the added pain from severe constipation; but my main point is the risk of reaching a time when tolerance approaches 100% and there is nothing else that will relieve the pain.

Some of you know that I believe RSD has a non-neurological cause and may be treatable. I honestly believe that everyone here will see the day finally come when medicine catches up with this disease and that treatment becomes available and widely used.

That treatment is hyperbaric oxygen, but before it becomes acceptable, the medical profession must learn what this disease really is; the article I have so far failed to finish is a small first step in the process.

The reason I have written so much about why this is an ischemia-reperfusion injury (IRI), and spent so much time trying to explain the IRI process is that there is no reason why anyone should pay any attention to me about HBOT until I can persuade them of the real cause of RSD. It took me four years to learn the connection between RSD and IRI, and I am trying to shorten that process for others.

If God allows me to finish my article, I hope to see it published in the Journal of Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine; a great goal for a lowly social worker, but HBOT has been described as a 'cure in search of a disease', so I will never find a more receptive audience. All I need to do is line up the facts and present them, right? So why can't I?

Anyway, after rereading what I've written, I can only say that if I'm right, most of you won't face years of needless pain, and if I'm wrong, talking about opiod tolerance can't hurt...Vic

Vicc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote