View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 07:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The term "post-traumatic hyperirritability syndrome" (PTHS) was introduced to identify a limited number of patients with myofascial pain who exhibit marked hyperirritability of the sensory nervous system and of existing TrPs. This syndrome follows a major trauma , such as an automobile accident, Iwas struck by a car while riding a bicycle at age thirteenor fall, or severe blowToo many to count...I was competitive figure skater to the body that is sufficient to injure the sensory modulation system or brain stem. This is the system that translates impulses from different receptors in the body to the brain. The patients have constant pain, which may be exacerbated by a moving vehicle, by the slamming of a door, by a loud noise (firecracker at close range), by jarring (bumping into something or by being jostled), by mild thumps (a pat on the back), by severe pain (a trigger point injection), by prolonged physical activity, and by emotional stress (such as anger). Recovery from such stimulation is slow. Even with mild exacerbations, it can take hours to recover to previous level of pain.BINGO!!

I also wonder if you experience this at some times, and not so much at other times, if it is still a diagnosis of PTHS or is it something else? Sometimes, I can have lights on bright and enjoy fairly loud music, tolerate a dog barking, etc. At other times, the slightest noise can set off a chain reaction of pain in my skin, down and up my spine, in what feels like my bone marrow. Especially if it is a repetitive noise. If I sit in my living room in my lounger, and a car passes by on the street, (windows and screens and doors are closed) it can start up a sickening type pain and then every few minutes when a car goes by, the pain just seems to build and build until I can no longer stay in the living room.Absolutely!!

Off to do some research...

Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her: but once they are in hand, he or she alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game.
-- Voltaire

dx'ed w/Young Onset Parkinson's Disease May 2006 at age 43. Symptomatic since 1997 or earlier. DBS June 22, 2010

dx'ed w/TN on right side 2007. GK x4, last GK 02/2013
Fowki is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (02-13-2009), GmaSue (02-13-2009), mistiis (02-15-2009), pono (03-02-2009), who moi (02-14-2009)