View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 08:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi there

Hi there, I'd just like to introduce myself...I'm already friends with Ali

I am not going to write my whole story just now, maybe I will one day-maybe not. You all know how it is already anyway.

I'm 23 years old and I live in Christchurch, New Zealand, when I'm not studying in Dunedin at Otago University.

I've had CRPS/RSD (what ever you call it doesn't make it any easier) in my right leg and foot since March 2006 but was only diagnosed to my face with it in May last year. I missed one step and landed hard on the next one, I didn't even fall over but I managed to mess my hip quite badly and also my foot.

Took a few months to get a doctor to believe that I had hurt my hip even though I could barely walk and finally when we did find someone we discovered that I had done so much damage I needed pretty major surgery to try fix it.

I've had a series of accidents since then mostly involving complex concussions (and one scaphoid fracture), I do not mix well with stairs and my balance and centre of gravity are shocking. One fall even took me out of a whole 8 months of uni.
I had the surgery on my hip which has been amazing as now I can walk quite well again as before the surgery I could barely walk at all. At that time my surgeon was confident that all the problems with my foot were 'my body's way of dealing with the pain in my hip' and that surgery would fix everything-how I wish that was true-I often think he was trying to pretend to himself as much as me because he knew.
I have continuing problems with the head injuries too but have never given up on my dream.

I got through a very competitive pre-med year getting grades good enough for physio (PT) school (all the health science professional wanna be's do a combined first year) so now I'm a couple of weeks away from starting my 3nd year, having passed all my 2nd year exams, not really believing that I have made it this far.

I take the good with the bad, try and focus on the good as much as I can and I love helping people! Things don't always go to plan and I get pretty stressed sometimes and my grades are not as good as I wished they should be. But I am learning slowly that its an achievement in itself to be where I am and passing at all and above all to never give up on something you truly want with all your heart.

I've just spent the summer doing an intense hydrotherapy program (been at the pool almost every day) and have made a lot of progress in terms of strength, endurance and function. I'm still in pain but I have been hardened some what to now be able to do quite a lot despite the pain. I still have bad days but I have a close network of friends who are always there to pick me up and get me back on track.

Looking forward to meeting you all.
Felicia
Alessea is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote