View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 10:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Help Freaking out - anxiety or Sleep Apnea?

I mentioned to the doc that I've been having episodes where I will be falling asleep, and just as im drifting off, my heart starts feeling like its beating irregularly, and i cant breathe. I come half awake sort of feeling like im going to die because I can't breathe, you know the feeling you get when you have been underwater too long, and then i force a few short breaths(very very short, like not even half a second of breathing in, its all I can get) and this has to be done several times until i wake up, and the feeling goes away as I wake completely. Oh, and when im half awake and cant breathe, i dont have the ability to move completely. Its as if my body is under a huge weight. Not quite paralyzed.

this is now three nights in a row this has happened, im terrified to sleep! It has happened to me in the past, but its been transient, never this severe.

I don't know if i should be going up to the hospital tonight or what I should do. Im freaked right out. I just tried going to bed with my baby son and it happened over and over and over. Everything I am reading is that I have sleep apnea, which makes sense,because I both snore and am overweight.

Doc even gave me 2mg of klonopin a day, its not helping I read that it can actually make apnea worse.

I called into one of the nurses at the hospital and explained everything, and she said to come in tomorrow morning and see my regular doctor, he will be at the hospital at 10am. She said it definetly sounds like sleep apnea to her, but that because I have been having it for a few days im probably ok to wait. She said if i have any other symptoms to call back and they will assess if i should come right in, and also of course if i feel its emergent then to come in right away.

I am exhausted, i just want to sleep but I am scared of the bed!
Rainbowzz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
GmaSue (02-13-2009)