View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 11:59 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am sorry to hear you have CRPS Cheryl. It is good that the nerve blocks are working for you. Some people it does nothing, so that's great news.

I believe they can repeat a series of them in 6 months, if necessary. I know the nurses in the hospital would go down to get their cocktail shot on their lunch hour. They injured themselves easily with patient turning and lifting. For some it became chronic, others it went away.

Here is Medline's take on CRPS if some of the folks here never heard of it.

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome

Also called: Causalgia, CRPS, Reflex sympathetic dystrophy

Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) is an uncommon nerve disorder. It causes intense pain, usually in the arms, hands, legs or feet. It happens after an injury, either to a nerve or to tissue in the affected area. Rest and time may only make it worse. Doctors are not sure what causes it.

Symptoms in the affected area are

Dramatic changes in temperature and color
Intense burning pain
Extreme skin sensitivity

The cause of CRPS is unknown, and there is no cure. It can get worse over time, and may spread to other parts of the body. Occasionally it goes away, either temporarily or for good. Treatment focuses on relieving the pain, and can include medicines, physical therapy and nerve blocks.

From the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke

May happiness be at your door. May it knock early, stay late, and leave the gift of good health behind.

"Life is what it is". We can only focus on controlling those things we can control, we must let go of the things we can't.
Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aarcyn (02-17-2009), NurseNancy (02-18-2009), SallyC (02-14-2009), tovaxin_lab_rat (02-14-2009)