View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 11:07 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dear Nikkey,

I want to respond to your questions and echo and definite affirmation to what Koala already said. Here...on the other side of the earth...it is the same.

Your Lynn will be treated as the individual he has always been. You will help the staff to know him and teach them what works. If diversion works...they will do that. If singing or music works....they will sing. If just holding works....they will hug. If walking works...they will walk. If one thing works yesterday but not today....another will be tried.

Our activity and nursing staff learned everything they could about each person and each interaction was sprinkled with that knowledge and affirmation. For example, a man good with his hands might be greeted with, "HI Tom! How is my favorite handy man?"
Birthdays would be celebrated, children frequently present, families always welcomed. EAch person was treated with dignity and as an individaul.

You have opened a floodgate of wonderful memories for me as I remember precious moments with these special people and their families.
Of Annie....who sang her way through her days like a never ending opera.
Of Laura....who thought her roomate was trying to rent her "apartment".
Of Norma...who would look to have me sing "Hello Norma" (to the tune of "Hello Dolly") before she would take her pills
Of Francis...who would take visiting children for a wheel chair ride and play the piano
Of Russell...who told me his WWII story often each day til I could say it by heart
Of Carmie...who didn't know the nice bald man but looked forward to him bringing her a donut each day and sit and hold her hand (her husband) .
Of Harold...who was always trying to "fix" things and would make us laugh with his sense of humor
Of Tom...whose wife would lie in bed next to him and just hold him
Of Helen...who would tell me of her babies and be so content holding a doll
Of Paul...who loved to dance
Of Josephine...alway "going" somewhere with her purse slung on her shoulder.

I can tell you there were way many more smiles than tears. Many more giggles than growls. Many more hugs than hits.

Forgive my wanting to indulge my memories. I just want you to know that one day soon, Lynn's and Nikkey's lives will be entwhined with new, caring people who will help Lynn have a "beautiful sunset", while holding your hand during the last goodbye.

Now I am crying with you....
Spanish Moss is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Abbie (02-14-2009), Alffe (02-14-2009), Curious (02-14-2009), da duck (02-14-2009), FeelinGoofy (02-14-2009), GmaSue (02-15-2009), just drea (02-17-2009), Koala77 (02-14-2009), mistiis (02-14-2009), Nik-key (02-14-2009), pono (02-18-2009), tamiloo (02-16-2009), Twinkletoes (02-16-2009), who moi (02-16-2009)