View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 01:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llrn7470 View Post
I am purchasing one off of the internet as I refuse to have my insurance company dictate how long they will pay for it. If you look up TENS units, you will see that there are tons of options for not only the amount of stim, but the number of electrodes (mine can hold eight), and the programs it can do. I keep thinking that it's worth a try to get back to work without being on anyting narcotic. I also am now really scared of any surgical procedure, so I am holding SCS as a very very last resort. Hey, I figure this is non-invasive and I can play with it to try and get some relief.
I'm thinking that the number of electrodes might be the key for multiple sites, so searching that way might be an option.
I think that is a very sensible approach Lori. Do you have a physiotherapist? Perhaps he/she can provide some guidance for you on different machines. Before I purchased mine my physiotherapist loaned me a couple of different TENS models to try out. Ultimately I decided on the EPIX VT (by EMPI) because it can function on many settings. You want to be able to adjust it so you can overcome the effects of accommodation and to have a machine that varies the signal being delivered to the nerves.

The TENS is simply one of the tools to help with pain management, it really is no big deal. If the signals are too strong simply turn it down or change the signal pattern. Some people don't like it or don't find any relief form it. In some cases the reason for no relief is when someone is exposed to the same signal for a long period of time the nerves accommodate to it. This means the patient has to turn it up in order to get some degree of relief. Eventually the machines cannot be turned up any higher and the TENS machine loses its pain relief effect.

I use it on my shoulders too to help with my TMJD and relieve the stress I carry in my neck shoulder areas. There are a few spots one should not place an electrode according to instructions from my Physio.
Not on the over the spine,
Not over a bony point,
Not on the soft side of the neck,
Not on my RSD foot (only because I still have 1 metal screw inside)

I understand that there are new improvements to the one that I purchased some years back so perhaps you could find the new improved deluxe model.

MsL
"When humans learn to be gratefully present every moment, they become angels. It’s not the wings that make the angel, but the message of courageous presence and creative acceptance, no matter what the moment brings: “Fear not!”" Gratefulness.org
Mslday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MominPainRSD (02-15-2009)