View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 01:52 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
It appears the only thing we may disagree on is the recovery issue. Not unexpected since most neurologist would agree with you. That is why many in the MTBI community consider ourselves the invisible wounded.
What does MTBI stand for? All of these acronyms ! Mild traumatic brain injury?? I certainly consider myself to be invisibly wounded. I look completely normal, until I talk. I often fumble over my words, stammer, and struggle to recall what I was talking about in the first place. NOT fun ! People often become confused and/or frustrated as I struggle.

I had surgery on my left temporal lobe, 3/06 for epilepsy one year before my tbi . It caused more memory problems, word-finding difficulty, major depression. In 3/07, I slipped on the ice and fell on my head. Caused the plate atop the LTL to shift, intracraneal bleeding and moderate concussion (which equaled a mild tbi). Long-lasting effects were worsening memory, loss of seizure control, major depression even worse, and outbursts of anger. My memory is in the 10th percentile, short term and instant.

Thankfully, my doctors (epileptologist, psychiatrist, internal medicine doctor, psychologist, and occupational therapist) were much more understanding of my situation as I was. They saw probable complications l-o-n-g before I even realized it. I continue to push myself very hard - just to do things that many people do everyday, piece of cake for them. It is a major challenge and very frustrating for me & everyone somehow attached to me (my family, work, friends). Yet, that is my everyday life. I just got diagnosed with refractory seizures again, as I was prior to surgery.

That's my experience.

Shez
shezbut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote