View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 07:12 AM
Fabulous Belizean Member

15 yr Member
Fabulous Belizean Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
This woman WILL NEVER GO FOR HELP. Not on her own merit. She will probably have a breakdown, be hospitalized and then she'll be FORCED TO GO TO REHAB. At least I think that's what happens.

I might be wrong.
well, I never thought my mom would get help, much less succeed, and get a TEN YEAR PIN !!

but, she did... people's inner strength to kick the bottle amazes me, and she's proof that programs and support WORK.

like our Moosie, it took a car wreck to make her see the light.

raised to be a good Catholic girl, my mom endured the utter degradation and humiliation of being ARRESTED, handcuffed, and jailed.

luckily, nobody was hurt in the accident, but that was enough of a wake-up call.

SHAME WORKS !!

my mom was so ashamed that she actually HID the gin bottles from the GARBAGEMAN (when we cleaned her room, we found dozens, and dozens, in the closet, under the bed, under the bathroom sink, in boxes on the shelves, BLEH !!

Melody, in order for shaming to work, the person already has to have a sense of shame.

is your friend ashamed of what she's doing?

or perhaps, you can convince her that she won't get a "slice of the pie" if she doesn't sober up... to handle the legal details.

and then, she won't ENJOY "eating the pie" unless she's sober, she'll just fritter it away.

good luck, and keep us posted on how your friend's doing, Melody.