View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 09:17 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

On this same subject, does anyone know how disability works for someone who got sick before they were ever able to work? My daughter Sarah was diagnosed with RSD when she was 13. Does a person need to pay into social security before they qualify for disability?

My daughter is my hero as well as the the bravest, sweetest person I know. Please know that I do not share the following in a boastful way ... just attempting to explain the situation:

Sarah will be graduating on schedule with her class this spring despite the fact that she has missed hundreds of days of high school. Fortunately she is extremely bright and is really good at teaching herself. To our surprise, she did so well on her ACT (scoring in the top 3% in the country), that she has received almost a full academic university scholarship. Now we have to hope and pray that she will be healthy enough to attend college.

Her high school has been wonderful in working with us, and we have been in contact with the college she plans to attend to make whatever special arrangements we possibly can to best ensure that she will be able to continue her education. Of one concern is the fact that she will have to carry at least 12 credit hours in order to remain on our family health insurance policy.

Please understand if I a rambling, as we spent the night in the emergency room with her, thus contributing to my fearful frame of mind. I must keep telling myself that God has seen her this far ... and as I continually tell her ... He most definitely has special plans for her.

I thank you so very much for listening to an exhausted, concerned mom. It is one of those days when I am feeling pretty overwhelmed.

God bless you all.

Love,
Jeanne
jenno is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote