Old 02-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alffe View Post
Wow! Does it taste like broccoli?
No, the broccoli sprouts don't taste ANYTHING like a bunch of broccoli.

They taste like SPROUTS!!! lol (which is delicious by the way).

The only sprouts that taste like what they actually are, are RADISH SPROUTS.

they smell like radishes, and they give a zip to the salads.

I'm growing them too!!

If you want to know what these things taste like (without actually sprouting anything yourself), the next time you are near an organic produce market, march yourself in, and go to where the alfalfa sprouts are. They will be in pint containers (like when you buy grape tomatoes and cherry tomatoes).

Near these alfalfa, should be the sweet pea shoots, the lentil crunchy mix sprouts....and, if you're lucky.....BROCCOLI SPROUTS!!!

I'll tell you something, when I first bought the cruncy lentil pea sprout mix, (I paid $2.99 for a pint), I said "these are really neat, (THIS WAS WAY BEFORE I KNEW HOW TO SPROUT ANYTHING).

So i picked up a few pints of these various sprouts, (spent over $20), in this store.

I went on youtube, and when I found out I could do this myself, I FOUND MYSELF A BRAND NEW HOBBY!!!

I don't think my head would have been into this when I was younger. I didn't know about sprouts, anti-oxidants, etc. etc.

I was too busy eating mac and cheese and dipsy doodles.

Now, well, you should see me when I pop out of bed in the morning.

I go to my sprout rack, I take my jars and trays, I mist them with water, I drain them, and I sometimes put up new batches.

Takes no time, but it's so interesting to see these things grow.

And the best is the fenugreek (you can't imagine the taste of this in a garden salad)

When I have them in a bowl (these I sprout in bowls (first in jars, then in bowls), BECAUSE THEY GROW.

Well, I was rinsing and draining the fenugreek once, and I swear, they actually started sprouting and growing these white tails (as I was rinsing them). They kind of VOLUMIZED right in front of me.

I never saw such a thing in all my life.

Last night I put up a batch of mung beans and fenugreek. They both sprout the same way (with long tails),

I love to saute them and put them over low-carb pasta, which a dash of olive oil, and garlic.

you neve tasted anything so delicious in all your life.

AND I GO TO THE BATHROOM EVERY DAY and it feels GOOD!!

All this fiber, and whateve the else is in my sprouts, well. I'm having a ball.

The other night I was watching HOUSE.

There was a research scientist who was in the bed and the other doctors found out she quit research.

They looked at her and said: "why on earth do you do this?" "You could have found a cure for something, you could have made a differerence".

The research scientist replied "yeah, but now I'm happy". and they asked her "what do you do"? and she said:

"I now work for a chef and I'm learning how to cook, and I go to my book club meetings".

The other doctors just stared at her and said "are you nuts, you're a doctor".

And she said "Yeah, BUT NOW I'M HAPPY"

That's exactly how I feel when I'm in the kitchen and doing my sprouting.

MAKES ME HAPPY.

And I get to eat good!!! lol

Take care,

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (02-15-2009), AZjanie (02-15-2009), GmaSue (02-17-2009), Koala77 (02-15-2009)