Thread: Could it be?
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 02:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbvcrn View Post
Hello
I am wondering could I possibly have RSD/CRPS. I think the only symptom that possibly coincides is burning cold areas on both upper arms, right worse than left, and left hip/thigh area. I also have burning feet, legs, hands and arms. Feels like hot wind stinging these areas. I see no change in color and no edema. I cannot relate to any virus or injury except possibly a left torn rotator cuff about two years ago. I did not have surgery for this. The shoulder froze then slowly thrawed to about 90%. If I watch what I do it is totally functional. The burning, etc. began about 18 months ago or about six months after the torn rotator cuff (which was definitely diagnosed as a full thickness tear per MRI). I have been totally tested for peripheral neuropathy because that it what it appeared to be (cbc, lytes, thyroid, B12, heavy metal, sed rate, crp, auto immune tests, emg, ncv and even skin biopsy). All of these have been negative. There is no particular stress in my life except for this as I am very uncomfortable and find I cannot stand many fabrics on my skin or have to turn them inside out as I find the outside often is smoother than the inside). Some on the PN forum have mentioned crps but upon much investigation I cannot really find any specifics that sound like me other than the burning/cold/temperature/fabric specifics. I feel the neurologists I have seen have "dismissed" me...What next to do as I feel things are progressing. I almost wish for something "visual", then maybe I would be taken seriously. Thanks for these forums and the ability to "vent"!
Hi sbv,
I am so sorry for the pain you've been experiencing. Many of your symptoms (burning, allodynia, which is sensitivity to normally non painful stimuli) do sound similar to CRPS. I think in order for the official diagnosis, you must meet several criterion:
http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/..._pain_syndrome

I found this link interesting and may discuss in more detail your specific issue if you look towards the bottom. Do you have any history of excessive edema in the area?? You mentioned no significant color changes.....those can include mottling of the skin (a marbled look), turning blue in areas or red)......it may be possible to not have these changes anymore if you've had it for a while (or it can become more or less obvious with time).

I am glad that you've found this forum. You can ALWAYS vent here or ask any question you may have. I hope for your sake that you do not have CRPS, but you have a good group of people here that will help you out however possible if you do.

It may be worth your while to see a new neurologist for a second opinion. It sounds like you've had every test in the book (most of which DO show "normal" results in cases of CRPS). Just know that WE know and understand the pain you are experiencing and we believe you. Best wishes to you and please keep us posted on how you're doing!!
MominPainRSD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tovaxin_lab_rat (02-15-2009)