View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 10:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart welcome

Hi Alessea,

Welcome to this site and hugs to you!

I did have a neurologist (10 yrs ago - my first) who was a jerk. He was very stern, accusatory, and kind of demeaning . I moved to a new area a year or two later, and discovered that not all neuro's were that way What a relief! I do recommend that people try to work issues out with their doc's, if possible. You can tell him/her how you feel. Ask for clarification and reasoning to be explained to you.

For instance: at doctor's appointments, my mind feels as though it's going both really fast & is at dead stop at the same time. As I try to control my thinking pattern, the doctor sits and waits. If he did not know about my tbi, he would wonder what in the world I'm still doing there! I, then, make a very brief statement (maybe one sentence) which is my summary of the appointment. The doctor will then say "yes" or "no", and go a little farther. As he does so, my mind finally allows me to speak again - this is usually the time in which I express my feelings and concerns. My doctor then has the knowledge of my interpretation and how I am feeling, and reacts accordingly.

That has come in handy a couple of times with my epileptologist. He is able to make me feel better by reassuring me and putting things into different words to help me understand. He now has a better understanding of my level of cognitive function. While I've had many tests, they are still just a portait of a certain area in my brain at that particular time. Most doctors will readily admit that it's just a slice. That's partly why there are so many tests. If you haven't had neurocognitive testing, you may want to get that done, in order to see what areas are weak & which are strong/er. It will bring up attention, focus, concentration, memory skills, mathematical skills, spacial, reasoning, ... and a couple other skills.

Hope that this helps you!
Shez
shezbut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote