View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi NAM1,

I've read your post a few times and to be honest, I am having a hard time understanding some of it. Obviously, you have some dental anxiety which is very common. You have had some very unpleasant dental experieces with difficult dentists and also believe to have had some poor dentistry not just once but several times. Is all that right so far?

I would like to try to help you, if I can, but I have a few questions first.

1) What do you mean by a DM patient?

2) Why were your 4 front teeth bonded in the first place? Had they been broken or decayed? Had they been root canaled in the past? Was the bonding done strictly for cosmetic purposes?

3) Why all the repeated gingivectomies? Did the gum tissue keep growing back? Do you have a problem with overgrowth of gum tissue due to medications?

4) Do you have periodontal disease? How is the health of the rest of your teeth?

I know this has been very difficult for you and I can hear your frustrations about the way you have been treated. It sounds like some "major" dental issues have been created by dentists who either performed poor qualtity dentistry and/or by dentists who in trying to remedy what someone else had done, messed it up or were still unable to help you achieve the proper esthetic look you were hoping for.

Before I offer you any of my personal insight into this situation, I really would need the answers to the above questions. I know you want to express how negatively you have been treated and I agree that you should not hold that in. But if possible, until we get a clearer picture of what is going on, please try to limit the personal stuff about the dentists because in this type of forum, it can be bit distracting from the pertinent issues which are your teeth. Ok...... ~'.'~

Look forward to hearing back from you........

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAM1 View Post
My initial goal was 4 front teeth that fit, with a slightly higher gum line.
I need a DDS who will listen, W/O ANGER, and W/PATIENCE, to a gunshy PT who has been thru 3+yrs of grief trying to fix a prob starting 12/2005 w/a DDS whom I really liked but would not admit he was in over his head. He repeatedly tried to bond 4 teeth as well as doing 6 gingivectomies instead of recognizing a need for bone reduction. Serious inflammation resulted; as well, cords were found months later left in, contributing to the prob. I finally gave up despite assurances he could fix it. He has now left practicing after promising and failing to fix his errors.
Bone reduction has now been done; and I have been thru more mistakes and probs: including refusals to wk w/my oral surgeon and his mistakes (correctly done bone reduction, but poorly done gingv as well as corresp mistake on access tooth 11's gum). There is a gen reluctance to wk w/a type 1 DM PT; and ALL 6 DDSs HAVE DIFFERENT OPIONIONS.
The last has "personal problems" which "sometimes come into her prof life" gradually enlightened to me by the DDS' (now fmr) tech during the 2nd and 3rd of 6 unfortunately progressive (required prepd) TXs. She is potentially and unpredictably explosive in manner and I dare not return to her. I could (and can) no longer tolerate her anger. While she has in fact thankfully fixed some mistakes via provisional teeth (which I pd an additional $1000 for) described as nec for healing; and 2 + 3 addl gingivectomies, I have by far found her to be the most difficult DDS to talk or work with.
It was then inferred I was lucky to have had her accept me as a PT and I should accept whatever results she felt were an improvement.
The results at my last appt were unexpected.* She angrily told me they were acceptable, not that bad, and any further charges were mine. Exhausted, I accepted crowns 8+9 with an uneven gum line and resolved to look elsewhere for help.
*#9 had a repeat gingv 1.28.9, but the new trainee tech put in a temp that was too high and the gum line stayed with it. #8 had a repeat gingv 12.30.8, and while the same tech put in a lower temp, and the gum line has stayed with that as well. The 2 crowns were to be made alike 1.28.9; however, the difference in the gum line is now 2mm.
I would like #s 8+9 to be more alike as they are together and right in front. #s 7+10 are not "perfect" and that is fine!
Ideally, I would like to have #9 removed PRN ONLY, shaved off minimally 1mm+ (which she refused to do prior to seating), wearing a temp or #9 as a temp while the gum line comes down per past experience, and then reseated. If it can be done w/o removal, that of course is preferable.
#8 has typically been the worst area for inflammation.
None of 7 8 9 or 10 has "relaxed" per DDS' prediction.
She also has refused to address the length of all crowns, saying flatly she does not want to consider it as she likes them cosmetically as is. That's the least of probs.
I once had a DDS tell me the earlier the better for saving a crown. These 2 are still a little loose. I would prefer to work w/the crowns I have; they are well made. (I have also pd for this wk twice.)
Please help me. Is there anything I can, should or should not do while I try to find a DDS who w/wk w/this mess? I feel time is of the essence while these crowns are relatively newly done.
Thanks so much!!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote