Thread: Dementia
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Hi Deb,

I'm sorry for the loss of your father. And now to have this with your mom must be a big worry.

I went through the same thing with both parents.

With my mom it was very similar to what you describe with your own mom.

She started to confide in me some things, like once she'd gotten lost on her way home from the pharmacy that was only two blocks from her apartment at the high rise. Not long after that I had a call in the middle of the night. She was waiting at the front door of her building with her coat on. She thought we were going shopping and wondered when I'd get there. (I lived 65 miles away.) When I asked her if she knew what time it was she got scared (it was 2am and dark outside). I made her promise to go back to her room and go to bed. She said she would then told me not to tell my sister what happened.

She didn't recognize many relatives shortly after this.

You should probably take your mom to the doctor and let him or her know what's happening. Also, make sure her financial records are in order. My mom had maxed out her credit card with Reader's Digest telemarketers. She had all this stuff they sent her and no way to pay for it. Also a Sears telemarketer sold her long term, overpriced whole life insurance.

Keep us posted, there are probably people here who have more tips than this. Try not to worry too much. We're here if you need us.

Turn Left at the next election.

RRMS DX 01/28/03 Started Copaxone again on 12/09/09
ewizabeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote