View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 05:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have had a service dog for 5 yrs. My first dog retired last yr and I've had my current dog for a little over a year. She isn't done training yet. She is a 19 month old german shepherd. She still has a lot of maturing to do before she's done training. She is very well bonded to me. She tends to be a velco dog but doesn't have bad separation anxiety. However if given a choice she'd rather follow me around but it ok being away from me. I do get one heck of a greeting if I've been away from her for too long. Having a german shepherd does have it's benefits as people are less likely to bother you. People tend to part and get out of your way in a crowd. She is the sweetest thing but I feel safe with her in not so great places because I know that if we are threatened, she will at least bluff with a hail of barking. I am working on making her ready to pass the CGC and hopefully eventually for the obedience ring.

I'm also training a 5 month old std poodle puppy but she is a long way off from being considered a service dog.

brighthorizondogs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote