View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 07:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Unhappy

Hi Bryanna
Thanks so much for replying. I SO appreciate your help.
Sorry for the confusion. My situation is quite complex; and I can well understand why you would be confused. I think my prev icon may have indicated I am confused, as well as unhappy and frustrated! I appreciate your patience, and I will answer as clearly as I can below to your corresponding questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi NAM1,

I've read your post a few times and to be honest, I am having a hard time understanding some of it. Obviously, you have some dental anxiety which is very common. You have had some very unpleasant dental experieces with difficult dentists and also believe to have had some poor dentistry not just once but several times. Is all that right so far?

A: Yes. I am very scared and worried. I have had several poor experiences not only with these 3 DDSs mentioned but had trouble finding a DDS who would work with either a perio or an oral surgeon with the inflammation and gum line issue.
I have also had poor luck finding a good DDS and have been thru many prior to 2005 and the current issue; and one who is capable of handling my medical issues. I have been thru many prior to 2005.
These as well as the current 6 mentioned all seem to disagree on my treatment(s) or each other. This has been most frustrating as I don't know whom to trust.

Even the last DDS (I'll refer to her as "Dr H") disagreed with the oral surgeon (I'll refer to him as Dr G") I saw who referred / recommended me to her and works with her. That is why Dr H did the last gingivectomies (11/08-12/08) instead of Dr G re-doing them as he had offered, because even Dr H said she wanted "more finesse" than she had seen, and prev seen, from the oral surgeon's results.

(Dr G did the bone reduction (successful); his single (but now 7th) gingivectomy (unsuccessful) both done 8/08.)
If I have counted correctly, total gingivectomies number apx 10 to one area or another in gum areas 7-10.

I would like to try to help you, if I can, but I have a few questions first.

1) What do you mean by a DM patient?

DM=Diabetes Mellitus. Mine is type 1, uncontrolled. My health is generally compromised, but workable with qualified professionals.

2) Why were your 4 front teeth bonded in the first place? Had they been broken or decayed? Had they been root canaled in the past? Was the bonding done strictly for cosmetic purposes?

A: The bonding was done by the first DDS (w/refer to him as Dr R) beginning the problematic inflammation accordingly. It was repeatedly done in an effort to make the crowns fit when bone reduction should have been done first to make the crowns fit. He later conceded "maybe I should have done bone reduction" after I gave up on him, went to see another DDS and found nec bone reduction to be his immediate conclusion, and then reported the info back to Dr. R. The 6 gingivectomies were done by Dr. R in the same effort to make the crowns fit, together with bonding. Both were unsuccessful. That effort was 12/05-01/08. He changed practices 2x and was unavailable for some of that time.

(#9 has had a previous root canal by a different DDS.)

3) Why all the repeated gingivectomies? Did the gum tissue keep growing back? Do you have a problem with overgrowth of gum tissue due to medications?

A: (6) gingivectomies were also repeatedly done by the same Dr R mentioned above in order to try and keep the gum line up. It was of course unsuccessful. The gum kept coming back down (growing back, I presume) and hanging over especially on #8 , and severe inflammation was the result on gum areas 7,8,9 + 10, esp on #s 7,8 & 9. Packing cords were left in on #s 8+10 which contributed to the inflammation prob. They were discoved apx 11 months later by Dr H.

THUS, the bottom line answers to your Qs 2+3 is that the original problem was caused by repeated gingivectomies AND repeated bonding done by Dr. R.

The initial gingivectomy was done by Dr R to raise the gum line and reduce a "gummy" look I've been unhappy with for years.

Medication was not an issue.

4) Do you have periodontal disease? How is the health of the rest of your teeth?

A: I do have mild perio disease and some bone loss on the bottom under a bridge this same Dr R did 2006. The bone loss may well be unrelated to his work there. I did have some problems with cosmetic bonding he did on #6 not holding. That was crowned by Dr. H.

I am largely concerned with areas 8-9 at this time. I would like to have a qualified professional possibly address not only the areas of 8+9, but possible bridges to include areas to even up the areas surrounding 7-10. #5 is chipping and may need a bridge to meet a long #6. No cavities. I do have a lot of crowns, + 2 bridges.

However, definitely first things first!

The inflammation in areas 7-10 has largely been healed.

I know this has been very difficult for you and I can hear your frustrations about the way you have been treated. It sounds like some "major" dental issues have been created by dentists who either performed poor qualtity dentistry and/or by dentists who in trying to remedy what someone else had done, messed it up or were still unable to help you achieve the proper esthetic look you were hoping for.

Before I offer you any of my personal insight into this situation, I really would need the answers to the above questions. I know you want to express how negatively you have been treated and I agree that you should not hold that in. But if possible, until we get a clearer picture of what is going on, please try to limit the personal stuff about the dentists because in this type of forum, it can be bit distracting from the pertinent issues which are your teeth. Ok...... ~'.'~

A: I mentioned the personal issues as a background / timeline (hard to avoid them acc); and to explain why I have not been able to resolve the issues with this last DDS ("Dr H"), and why I dare not return to her. I had the opportunity to keep trying with her as I felt in the past I must do; but simply can no longer. I find myself becoming physically ill even at the thot of returning to her, even to correct bite issues.

I am trying hard not tb negative. If there were an icon to indicate terrified I would use it instead of unhappy.

I look forward to moving onto a DDS who can help me.

I hope I've been enlightening and not more confusing. I know there is a lot of info over the timeline.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND UNDERSTANDING!!

Look forward to hearing back from you........

Bryanna
NAM1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote