View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 04:37 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Heart

Hi,
I don't have access to medical journal data bases, but quick google search does show that people are investigating how MS and BP might run together in higher numbers than coincidence would suggest.

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/...tract/143/1/94
Quote:
Association between bipolar affective disorder and multiple sclerosis

RB Schiffer, NM Wineman and LR Weitkamp

Ten patients from Monroe County, N.Y., had both multiple sclerosis and bipolar affective disorder. Epidemiologic data indicate that the expected number would be 5.4. This difference may indicate an association between these disorders.

For childhood bipolar
-google Child and Adolescent Bipolar Foundation

--get a copy of the The Bipolar Child: The Definitive and Reassuring Guide to Childhood's Most Misunderstood Disorder Third Edition by Demitri Md Papolos and Janice Papolos
This is considered the most thorough and definitve book on childhood bipolar.

-- Here is a web site created by the authors of that book. http://www.bipolarchild.com/

-- NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness can have support groups for families in your town. Some communities are quite successful in offering support.

There is much hope. Remember that you can find help (not much help here since our board is very quite.)

I have no children but if I did, I might try some dietary and general wellness approaches along with the med approaches.
Many folks with bp do well with whole foods (cooking at home . . . ), having low stress, having a daily routine, getting very good sleep, getting exercise, getting sunshine weather permitting. . . .

I have no children so I cannot offer my own experience.

I hope that you find help.
Keep reaching out until you find what you want.
Good luck.

M.