View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 05:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MominPainRSD View Post
I actually appreciate your humble opinion, Dubious. How in the world do I approach this with my Pain Doc??? Should I call him and ask him to give me sympathetic blocks instead?? He'll only do one side at a time with those blocks. I just want the PAIN to go away. I took a Vicodin earlier (which I NEVER do) that I can tell is wearing off and I am on FIRE. Oh.....this pain is the worst I've ever experienced since my RSD began. What should I do????
No, don't tell him his work. But I would approach him and nicely ask him what he objectively found by virtue of labs, clinical findings, MRI, etc., ask him where he thinks the pain generator is, what effect the procedure is hoped to have, specifically, and mechanically how that procedure will work. To order an epidural, there might be some other area he is targeting for some reason. Or perhaps he is going to do a catheterized epidural for continuous infusion; I have heard of that. You should ask him "why not a sympathetic block?" or "why an epidural instead of a sympathetic block?" Ask him if there are any other reasons that he has considered that might account for both soles hurting? I am not say that the epidural is unreasonable, just ask him explain how the block vs. the epidural work in YOUR condition!

Have you had an epidural before, for this exact pain? If so, did it work? It is not that either is unecessarily dangerous, just that you want the most relief as soon as possible!
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MominPainRSD (02-17-2009), Mslday (02-21-2009)