View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 08:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
No, don't tell him his work. But I would approach him and nicely ask him what he objectively found by virtue of labs, clinical findings, MRI, etc., ask him where he thinks the pain generator is, what effect the procedure is hoped to have, specifically, and mechanically how that procedure will work. To order an epidural, there might be some other area he is targeting for some reason. Or perhaps he is going to do a catheterized epidural for continuous infusion; I have heard of that. You should ask him "why not a sympathetic block?" or "why an epidural instead of a sympathetic block?" Ask him if there are any other reasons that he has considered that might account for both soles hurting? I am not say that the epidural is unreasonable, just ask him explain how the block vs. the epidural work in YOUR condition!

Have you had an epidural before, for this exact pain? If so, did it work? It is not that either is unecessarily dangerous, just that you want the most relief as soon as possible!
Hi Dubious,
Thanks so much for writing. No, I've never had an epidural injection for this type of pain.....just a steroid epidural years ago for back pain that actually caused sciatica (also, I had an allergic reaction to the steroid. There were supposed to be a series of three injections and they quit after two). I will call the office tomorrow and see if I can ask the nurse or set up another appointment to see him before Monday to ask these questions. I never would have questioned it......I just want the pain to go away as quickly as possible. I can barely function as it is. I am SICK so far from the Cymbalta (just started this morning) and the pain pills. I certainly hope I adjust to the meds quickly (as I sit here munching on dry Cheerios....the only thing I can THINK of keeping down right now). Anyway, thanks so much for caring and writing me back. I'll keep you posted on what I find out!
MominPainRSD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote