Thread: Methadone
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 08:38 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Hi Debbie,

I was on Methadone for over 6 years. I was able to go off of it about 6 months ago but I do have to take it occasionally for the pelvic pain. I had to take it last night. I took 2 1/2 mgs. and when I saw it wasn't doing any good I took the other half after a couple of hours.

What I found with the pelvic pain it is different then the RSD pain in other areas. It just seems harder to calm down when it starts. It has calmed down though after about 3 hours so I am thankful for that.

Our goal was to get me off meds completely. My Dr. is semi retired and he wanted to get me doing better so if and when he does retire I will have time to find another Dr. if he doesn't get me one. I see a new Pelvic Pain Dr. next week and hope he will help with this part of my pain. I've seen 2 gyno's and the problem with them is that I have a diagnoses that neither believed in. It's another one of those that Drs. question such as they have Fibro and a few others.

Back to the subject. I loved the Methadone. I was able to stay at a half of a 5 mg. for almost all of the 6 years until the pelvic pain became worse and I had to up it to 5 but we have gotten the pelvic pain to where it's not everyday so that is a blessing but the flares keep me from taking other meds I need.

I do think it's one of the best meds out there for pain and it's the cheapest at around 40. so if people donot have insurance they might be able to afford it. More and more Drs. are using it for pain.

My side effects were very minimal. No one could tell I was on anything and I liked that. I didn't have to stay in bed as I had to before we found it and believe me, I tried everyone anyone here has tried.

I do believe one reason that it may bother some people is because they do start at too high of a dosage. I had one person tell me she was on 80mgs. I couldn't believe it but I could tell it.

As far as other meds, I tried Lyrica and Cymbalta and too many others to name which I couldn't take anyway but they were used with the Methadone for me.

Talk to your Dr. about it and maybe see if he thinks it's just a first reaction with it. If you aren't use to it then it will make you seem loopy at times. I notice that since I am not on it all of the time now.

I think it's safer then a lot of the other Narcotics they give. I heard on the news awhile back that there are more deaths with Vicoden and Ocycontin then others. I don't think people overtake them intentionally but when your pain level is through the roof, it's get it calmed down or give me a gun and one bullet feeling. I have that feeling at times with the pelvic pain and I remember how bad I was when I first started with the Fibro, RSD, IC and other issues.

Sorry this is so long and again, I think of you guys often but I am trying hard to get to a point to where I am doing better with my gastro issues as well as the pelvic pain.

I don't even spend too much time on the computer due to trying to get my weight back down and get my other issues calmed down.

Hope things start looking up for you Debbie.

Ada
dreambeliever128 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote