Thread: New here
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 09:15 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Sounds familiar ......

Wow, you sound like me. I have had 3 opinions and have all diagnosed Atypcial TN, and I too have a problem accepting that diagnosis. Fortunately, my episodes are very sporadic and usually occur every 2 - 3 months for a few days at a time, in 8 hr shifts. I have not had the lightning bolts, and so far, the right ear is my only source of pain. Constant hot, deep, boring pain (like one of those antique hand held augers with the door knob type handle) and extremely tender to the touch on the outside of ear and immediate surrounding area accompanied by intermittent ice pick stabs every couple of minutes. To turn my head, talk, chew, or God no to SMILE is out of the question. I don't see many posts here regarding ear pain, and glad (I guess) that there are others with the same type.

My doctors insisted for years that I had an inner ear problem, but finally gave in and went to ENT and they found nothing after 2 MRI to my head. Sent me to neuro and he determined it was ATN. Asked my friend (nurse practitioner) her opinion and she agreed with him. Then I made my self an appointment at Vanderbilt Medical Center here in Nashville and they concluded the same.

As I mentioned before, my attacks are so sporadic that I don't want to take daily meds at this point. I have RX for tegretol to take as needed when I have an episode, really drugs me out and can't say it really helps. A heat pad applied to side of my head is the best pain relief I have found.

Well, hang in there and I hope you can continue to control your pain. Check in here often, there are a lot of compassionate and knowledgeable folks here to listen and advise.

All the best,
Rhonda
Bassetcase is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote