View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 09:19 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default At 800 per day...

... along with half a dozen other meds. I am an early onset patient and at 52 y.o., I've been taking assortment of meds for over 20 yrs. At one point, I experimented with dropping most of the other meds and increasing the carbo/levo. Psychologically, I thought the fewer drugs I took - regardless of dosage - the healthier I was. Big Mistake!!! I stupidly increased up to almost 2000 per day in order to function on any level! Only did this for several weeks, then eventually returned to old formula.

Bottom line: for now, what the doctors tell us is accurate - Take as little carbo/levo as you can ("optimizing" it with all the other dopa-boosters currently used such as comtan, mirapex, requip, amantadine, etc.) but take as much as you need (to function at your personal best). By "personal best" I mean minimizing dyskinesia and ON/OFF effects and maximizing quality ON time (without symptoms or side effects.)

"As little as you can, but as much as you need" is different for each of us.
This is just my opinion on the subject.
KK
PS- No long-term effect experienced from that 2000/day period. After 20 years I am still alive. My quality of life has certainly been compromised over this long a time, but I believe intense exercise has always helped me stay in the best possible condition possible.

So don't abuse levo/carbo but don't fear it either. If you need more take more...with caution. I hope this helps.
kk13 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
davos (02-18-2009), imark3000 (02-19-2009)