View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 12:23 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Inflammation

Debbie, it is getting too technical for me too!!
Before I studied PD, I thought of inflammation as a bad thing, like a sore red, inflammed wound. It must have been a bad thing I thought, since we take anti-inflammatory drugs and use anti-inflammatory creams.

Then when I got PD and studied disease, I learned that inflammation that occurs around the infected area helps it to heal. So it is a good thing.
A definition is given as
"Inflammation is a process by which the body’s white blood cells and chemicals protect us from infection and foreign substances such as bacteria and viruses."
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/sympto...d_To_Know.aspx
Yet we still used anti-inflammatories!!!

Now this new theory says, no, it is a bad thing again, inflammation prevents the body recognising a foreign substance and therefore serves as a "hiding place" for "invaders". Gary states,
"The inflammation is not the body trying to fight the infection; it is actually the virus or bacteria deliberately causing inflammation in order to hide from the immune system"
When research makes no progress, (nothing major since sinemet in the last 40+ years), then one or more of your assumptions is wrong. You need to recheck your "facts". By this time, we should know the true nature of inflammation.
Ron