View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 03:25 PM
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member

“There, what did make you wear your shawls?” she exclaimed a moment afterward, reproachfully. “You ain’t been an’ wore ’em all day long? I wanted folks to see how pretty your new dresses was, if I did make ’em. Well, well! I wish more’n ever now I’d gone an’ seen to ye!”

“An’ here’s the pepper-box!” said Katy, in a pleased, unconscious tone.

“That really is what I call beautiful,” said Mrs. Hilton, after a long and doubtful look. “Our other one was only tin. I never did look so high as a chiny one with flowers, but I can get us another any time for every day. That’s a proper hat, as good as you could have got, John. Where’s your new hoe?” she asked, as he came toward her from the barn, smiling with satisfaction.

“I declare to Moses if I didn’t forget all about it,” meekly acknowledged the leader of the great excursion. “That an’ my yellow-turnip seed, too; they went clean out o’ my head, there was so many other things to think of. But ’tain’t no sort o’ matter; I can get a hoe just as well to Ira Speed’s.”

His wife could not help laughing. “You an’ the little girls have had a great time. They was full o’ wonder to me about everythin’, and I expect they’ll talk about it for a week. I guess we was right about havin’ ’em see somethin’ more o’ the world.”

“Yes,” answered John Hilton, with humility, “yes, we did have a beautiful day. I didn’t expect so much. They looked as nice as anybody, and appeared so modest an’ pretty. The little girls will remember it perhaps by an’ by. I guess they won’t never forget this day they had ’long o’ father.”

It was evening again, the frogs were piping in the lower meadows, and in the woods, higher up the great hill, a little owl began to hoot. The sea air, salt and heavy, was blowing in over the country at the end of the hot, bright day. A lamp was lighted in the house, the happy children were chatting together, and supper was waiting. The father and mother lingered for a moment outside and looked down over the shadowy fields; then they went in, without speaking. The great day was over, and they shut the door.

"you're entering, the

zone..."
who moi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (02-18-2009), barbo (02-18-2009)