View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 07:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hello, Very new to this.

Hello,

I am Mary J and I am 68yrs young. I am a retired nurse. I haven't been using a computer for long so please excuse any mistakes I make. I am hoping through my pain that i can use my free time to learn more about the internet so please bare with me.

I live in Spain most of the year, but pop back to the UK to see my 2 daughters and 7 grandkids. My son, like my daughters, is a nurse, although he is in New Zealand, so dont get to see him too often. I'm not that fond of flying, so make the trip every couple of years.Wellington is lovely though.

I have a complex medical history, but I came here as I felt my current diagnosis is close to causing me a depressive episode...My very brief medical hystory is I have a frozen shoulder, osteoporosis, diabetes, thyroid issues, had surgery for a cateract, and am undergoing regular checks as had breast cancer. Cancer is not unknown to me, had bowel cancer as a 14 year old girl, and had an ileostomy when I was 21. Back then it was seen as a radical procedure in one so young. I was lucky though that I was able to use my own personal experience when nursing patients who were either having or had had the same or similar surgery. I have always been a fighter, and try to have a young outlook on life but since I started having these back issues its turned me into an emotional wreck.

I have severe lower back pain, cramping in my legs, particaularly my thighs, although I do get a burning sensation in my calfs. I have started to experiance some numbness in my legs and this really scares me for a couple of reasons - with the diabetes I take longer to heal, with the osteoporosis its easier for me to break my bones, and I love to play sports like badminton and tennis. Badminton is my preferred sport but as log as it helps keep me fit I will try it. I wish I could put a smilie in as then you would see me smile and put some of my feelings acroos

Im sorry for a long post. I guess I type like I am chatting to someone in the same room. I do apologise.

I do hope to hear from someone who can help tell me how to cope with feeling so down. I just dont know how to cope. I am trying to let my daghters see a cheerful me as I am back in the UK helping my youngest daughter pick her wedding dress.

MAny thanks,
Mary J x
Nursey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
GmaSue (02-19-2009), Twinkletoes (02-18-2009)