View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 03:41 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default support jess

Jess, You are far from old. No one can tell you what to do. Surgery is scary. I know I went back and forth with my last one and 3rd back surgery. Double fusion and I was so scared. You just have to weigh your options and look at what your quality of life is and what you are willing to put up with now. Can you live the rest of your life with what pain and limitations you have? Is it going to get worse? Yes, it is a gamble. We are all in the same situation. We put our lives in the surgeons hands and risk, what? What getting better, what kind of life will we live and fight our way back afterwards. But please your age is certainly not an issue. It is the anticipation and mainly whe we have already been through back surgery, we know how hard it is to fight to recover. Only unless you are ill and that is something you and your doctor would have to discuss. If you are healthy enough to go through surgery then there is no problem. Also if you think if you can live the way you are now and tough it out, then push off the surgery. These are things that go through our minds. I am certainly not a doctor, but I am just another back sufferer who knows that fear and what we talk ourselves into and out of a million times before that date arrives. Hold on and talk with you family and doctor and take your time. The answer will come. I am 7-8 week post op now. Holding on still. I made it through my 3rd one. Am I thrilled no, am I hopeful yes, so I am just waiting and recovering. Warmly, lisa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSE BROWNING View Post
I am 65 and am scheduled for anterior/posterior fusion L2 through S1 on February 7. I had laminectomies at L2-L3 and L4-L5 two years ago and this failed to correct the sensory and motor loss in both legs. I can walk with a cane, but have lots of instability. I have limited pain and have difficulty balancing if i close my eyes. I have severe left foot drop and loss of feeling in both feet.The surgeon indicates my lumbar spine is very unstable and without repair will surely cause far greater problems in the future. What would you do?
lconroy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote