Old 02-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
That's very cool, Melody!

So, did you actually make the original yogurt, or did that come from a carton?
Twinks:

That's the funniest question I have gotten.

You can't make yogurt (in a cardboard box), from original yogurt.

You take milk (I use Alba fat free). You heat it up to 180 degrees, then cool it down to between 100 and 110.

and here's where the important step comes in.

You need (for the first time), a big teaspoon of ANY KIND OF PLAIN YOGURT), THIS IS CALLED THE STARTER YOGURT.

So after cooling down the milk to 110 or so, you gently blend in the little amount of yogurt (from a container, or you can use active live yogurt cultures that you buy from either a health store, or the internet).

After blending it in gently, you have two choices.

You can put the milk in the yogurt machine (this machine only makes one quart), and I've been doing this for about 3 weeks now.

Or you can do what I did the other day. It's what people have been doing for CENTURIES before yogurt machines were invented.

I took my milk blend, I poured it into a two quart mason jar, I capped it tightly. I put it in a cardboard box that already had blankets in it.

I then covered the mason jar with more blankets and closed the box.

I started this at 11 a.m. one morning, and when I got up the next morning, I opened the box.

AND I HAD PLAIN LOVELY YOGURT.

Then I strained it (like I showed in my video), and in a few hours, you have thick greek yogurt. The longer you strain, the thicker it becomes.

You can do this with 2 mason jars, and you'll have 4 quarts of yogurt. Actually, if you strain this, you have less but it's thicker.

There you go, you have had a lesson in the easiest thing I have ever done. I may never use my yogurt machine again. All it really is in an incubator. It does in 7 hours, what the box did over night. But you can make MUCH MORE YOGURT.

And wait until you see the video of the sprout tray I built.

I'm going to come back and put the link on this thread.

You're going to laugh your head off.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote