Thread: Myoclonus
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 11:56 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default hope this goes through

HI Burnmyo
Thanks for your efforts. Sorry for the late reply, but for some reason when I try posting my posts don't send. Hope you get this one. I have had palatal myoclonus for almost 6 years and spinal myoclonus for 2 years. I have tried every type of medicine, botox etc you name it. My two suggestions for getting some type of relief are- biofeedback and accupuncture. But be VERY careful who you go to for accupuncture and be sure that he or she is VERY well trained in the authentic Chinese ways of accupuncture. Another thing- this is strange, but eating ginger - straight ginger- has been a little helpful and taking Slow Mag has also helped a little. Some times NOTHING helps and sometimes you get a tiny bit of relief. This condition has a total mind of its of own. I know what you are going through. I have been told there is "no cure" and "no cause", but I will NOT give up trying to help myself and others out there. Never give up! Best of luck. Please keep in touch. Topsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnmyo View Post
As I understand it, there are about 80 different drugs that can cause myoclonus....just for starters. I suspect that depending on where it is in the body it may have different aietiologies (causes and progressions).

Palatal myoclonus I am currently researching but have not had much luck contacting Topsie in this forum, who also seems to have it.

I understand that palatal myoclonus can be caused by some malfunction in the Guillain-Molleret triangle. The precipitating cause could be post infectious brainstem encephalitis. I have also read of a person having their palatal myoclonus cured after removal of adenoids...go figure!
Am still researching this.,

Walker its interesting you say your wife experienced this after epidural...since I recall my mother coming in to hospital to visit me after childbirth and noticing my entire body was shaking.. (BTW< my epidural only worked on half of my body and just prior to C-section incision and about to make the cut they checked if I could feel both sides, one side I couldnt ,the other I could ...then they must've topped it up. I swear I sensed an airbubble rising right up into my throat on the r side as they cut into me.

I think possibly injury, infection and medications all may play a role. Hope your wife finds some respite.
Topsie is correct that the cause involves overfiring of noeurons in the brain...but the reason could be because of some damage aeitrogenic/car accident/dental work & medications.
Topsie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote