View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default Mising the point

My point is not that nobody ever recovers fully. my point is that whatever level of recovery that can be expected, they all require active participation by the patient.

As Donna said recently, every head injury takes away a little bit more. In order to get back the maximum amount of function. the patient must participate in the recovery process.

The first part of the recovery process is accepting that the problems are real. Then you start working to overcome them with exercises or develop work-arounds and accommodations for the dysfunctions.

When these have been done, the stress levels from the dysfunctions decrease enabling more recovery. Carrying the stress load of "When am I going to get better?" or "Am I crazy?" only complicates and delays recovery.

Dr. Scaer approaches this from the psychological angle. I and most in the brain injury community prefer to address the problems head-on.

If I had known 30 years ago what i know now, I would not have been so passive regarding recovery. I let the docs just give me some meds without any direction in exercises or other recovery methods. I had to figure out what worked by trial and error. There was much more that i could have done. My ignoring of my symptoms did not help.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote