View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 01:11 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default Recovery exercises

So you want some specifics.

I have recovered much of my memory and cognitive losses over the years. It does not happen in a vacuum. My strong suits have been math. reading, problem solving, etc. Those academic pursuits that separate the high achiever form the average achiever. The math is the simplest to exercise and rebuild. I have alway had a fabulous ability to do mental math calculations. Each time I was injured after high school, I would suffer a loss in these capabilities. I would regain much of these abilities by challenging my mind with math any chance I had. At the store, i would ad up my purchases and compete with the clerk and cash register. I had to do this when I worked at McDonald's in 1973-4 because the registers we used only totaled the cash we were putting into the till. It was great mental exercise. I have had to redevelop my math skills many times since then and I always used the same technique. I read voraciously. I am always up to a challenge of solving mental puzzles, mechanical problems, and any other such challenges.

Being on the watch for these opportunities for mental exercise is very important. When recovering from a brain injury, it is important to take advantage of any opportunities available since sitting down to practice can be overwhelming, especially at first.

The randomness of taking on these challenges as they come up allows you to work on them in a variety of environments and without the stress of cramming for a test. Crossword puzzles help exercise memory recall skills.

As the saying goes, if you don't use it, you lose it. Well, if you have lost it to an injury, the only way to get it back it to use it over and over. You can pay a occupational and speech therapist or you can do it yourself at every opportunity.

After getting a computer in 1993, I began playing the games that come with Windows. Minesweeper, Free Cell, and some others are excellent brain exercises. My eventually built up my win record in Free Cell to almost 90%. My brainiac daughter would compete with me. Eventually, I set a family record of solving a game in only 37 seconds. I have used Free Cell to recover from a concussion in early 1996 and again in 1999. After my concussion in 2001, no matter how much I tried to play Free Cell, my brain would over-load and get exhausted. I have tried many time in the past eight years but my neurologist says that at my age and with my 13 plus concussion history, I have probably used up all of the "reserve" capacity in my brain. Neuro-scientists believe that there are many extra neural pathways available to replace the damaged pathways but as we age, those extras get used up. He tested my brain in 2002 twice and again in 2006 and saw no difference. I have improved greatly but most of my improvement is due to the work-arounds and other accommodations I have learned.

The neuropsychs that have assessed me all have repeated that exercises, work-arounds and other accommodations are of utmost importance. By accommodations, they are referring to stress avoidance techniques, accepting the limitations (at least for now) that are currently manifesting, accepting and receiving help from others rather that trying to do it alone, etc. A good occupational therapist who treats brain injury should have a long list of these. the work-arounds are just other ways to get a task done. Some people are good with lists and other reminders. It all depends on the individual's symptoms.
There are similar techniques for the psychological issues. Most common is CBT, Cognitive Behavior Training or Therapy. In CBT, you learn to memorize specific responses to specific situations. It can be anything from breathing techniques to thoughts, both positive and negative. i.e. This is not going to hurt me. or I can handle this challenge. or That situation is not important. to very complex responses. Sometimes, just identifying the trigger or stressor and choosing to ignore it is adequate to build up tolerance. CBT is often used with phobias. I overcome my severe claustrophobia with two steps. If I can, I close my eyes, I pull my arms and legs up so that they are not touching any of the constraining object, then I visualize that the constraining object does not exist and replace it with open space of some kind. I have been able to have many CT scans, MRI's and a Pet scan using these techniques. But, when I fly on a airplane, I need to sit in the first row and on the aisle. If I cannot get that seat, I need to travel with my eyes closed as much as possible.

There are other techniques that I have not mentioned here. The important concept is that you have to pro-actively seek out these solutions. Identifying your dysfunctions is the first step to figuring out a solution.

Dr. Scaer tries to approach the dysfunction as just a symptom of an underlying psychological issue. If there is not an underlying psychological issue to treat, then he has not workable treatment. He claims that almost all of the long term symptoms are psychologically caused. That severely limits the sufferer to the limits of psychology. Sometimes, the psychological solution can be worse than the original problem.
In my case, after I was abused by the cops, the psychologist wanted to get me to accept and convince myself that the cops were not doing anything wrong. That would have been a severe challenge to my ideas of right and wrong.

Sorry, my conscience is not up for grabs. I did not need a new reality.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote