Thread: My PN Saga
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 06:42 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default My diagnosis was a bit more ....

fraught with frustrations.

After a very initial diagnosis by my GP and a referral to neuro's, it got soo bad the GP suggested I go to the ER. At first it was the toes, couple of days later the fingers, few more days-on the way to the ER it was both whole feet, and hands. While in the ER the wrists went into full fledged pain mode and the feet pain migrated up to the knees! All in a 14 hour waiting period. The resident at the ER got the diagnosis and referral of my condition off ....you guessed IT! THE INTERNET!!!! I'm betting that's ONE resident who will not MISS PN onset symptoms in the future. I was one miserable human-it hurt soo much I couldn't even cry-didn't have the energy and hadn't slept in 4 days!

The neuro on call I now refer to as the 'quack'. This neuro just flat out believed the neuropathy could not get worse if I was following his 'program' - it was/did. He'd done only base tests: Simple blood panel, urine tests and basic Nerve Conduction tests. As my neuropathy progressed-I was written off as a nutter.

It was my PODIATRIST, who works with lots of stroke, cancer and diabetes patient's feet, who suggested that I get a second opinion as the neuropathy was still 'progressing' up my legs to my seat. His comment was that 'this doesn't sound right'.

I did get that 2nd and as a result my diagnosis was changed to CIDP. That podiatrist essentially saved my life and life quality, because, as a result, I got all the tests and a real diagnosis. Now, I'm getting the meds and treatments that work from a neuro who listens to me when I say things are good, status-quo, or not GOOD.

I, for one, won't go into all the gory details of pain, how to describe it etc. Others are more articulate on that subject. It is a truly subjective issue to 'define'. I do suggest that you 'web' up 'Mankowski Pain Scale' which I've found is the best manner of describing your pains. Docs, I believe, keep the true descriptions we utter of our pains hidden in their 'Secret Code Books'.

Hope this all helps - j

Last edited by dahlek; 12-07-2006 at 06:50 AM.
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote