View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 09:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Stem cells and PD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandido1 View Post
VIVA KATIE HOOD! I am in step with her but probably wont make it through to see the results.
YES Very nice post and I hope President Obama/his administrative staff read that post. I am all for ES cell research and therapy. I firmly believe that the truth and the spirit of science got lost because of politics and religion.

Having said that, I like to emphasize that stem cell therapy is not a total cure (yet) for PD. From what I have read (mostly animal models and the latest paper by Dr. L...where a single patient was observed for 5 years post stem cell therapy) transplanted cells/neurons do die with time. Whatever mechanism that is responsible for neuronal cell death is still operative. Please correct me if I am wrong and missed anything in the literature. I will be delighted if there are papers or information contrary to what I said!

No doubt stem therapy gives us back the ability to function and would improve the quality of life. I can understand the need for such a therapy even if it lasts for a few months or years. All I am trying to say is we need to be aware of its limitations as of now and continue with more research for a complete cure.

Thanks and look forward to a good discussion on stem cells.

Girija

Girija
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
indigogo (02-21-2009)