View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 01:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I do!

I flat refuse to have MRIs anymore. My doc has found a way to do everything with CAT scan or another way for me. She's a keeper!

I went to one movie since getting RSD - had to leave. I have sold my stereo system - I used to love listening to music! I play an instrument called a Hammered Dulcimer. I used to go to music festivals too... can't do that anymore. I thought I had to give up listening to music all together. But, then I got an iPhone. It has an iPod in it. I "ripped" my CDs and put them on the iPod part of the phone, and listen to them with the earplugs. Works great! The music doesn't vibrate my RSD areas that way! I also download "podcasts" of radio shows to listen to in the car. I only use one earplug so it is safer when driving - that way I can still hear what's going on around me. But, much less vibration than the car stereo. Also, when in the car, I listen to books on tape (well, on CD) - which is just a person speaking, and they don't vibrate. It also helps me keep my mind off the car vibrations.

I still work so I have to drive. When I was at my worst, I used fluffy down pillows under and around my arm/shoulder to protect against vibration. It's a little better now, or I am a little more used to it.... I still use one pillow, between my arm and the car door.

I find I am better if I am the driver rather than the passenger. Don't know why.

I also use anti-vibration gloves on my hands when I drive. I got them through U.S. Safety company - if I remember right. They have many different kinds and styles. You can buy single gloves, so if only one hand is affected. I think they were $7 per glove - I have had them a long time... so don't remember exactly.

When I have to ride any distance in someone else's car - I bring out all the down pillows again! Make a little nest for myself, and that is one of the times I will take "real" pain meds.

I used to mow my own lawn -- but can't stand sitting on the mower now. Have to hire the neighbor to do it now. Can't run the weed eater for the same reason. Don't miss that job though, always hated it!
daylilyfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote