Thread: Muscle Spasms
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 02:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi. Cramping is consistently one of my biggest problems. My neurologist explained to me some time ago that Flexiral (which didn't help me) was designed for locally induced cramping, e.g., muscle/ligament/tendon strains, but that Baclofen was far and away the best drug for spasms of CNS origin, such as MS or RSD. I take what I'm advised is the maximum recommended dose, 50 mg. a day, in 10 mg. tabs. It really helps, even though it plays hell with short-term memory, to the point that I couldn't take it while I was still working.

When that isn't enough, I have a prescription for Marinol (TCH) to fall back on, and that works REALLY well, although even a single 5 mg. capsule can be somewhat stultifying, and it doesn't come on right away, and when it does . . . . People I know with medical marijuana prescriptions tend to have the best control of CNS induced spasms of anyone I know, but sadly my doctors aren't into that and I don't want to risk losing them for my pain control meds by going off the program.

Finally, as far as potassium goes, I take significant amounts of it in prescription form (600 mg potassium chloride) twice a day to support a diuretic prescription of Lasix for RSD induced edema, but while the Lasix helps the edema, the potassium hasn't seemed to have helped the cramping. And for what it's worth, some drugs, like SSRIs and SNRIs will actually make it worse.

Mike

Last edited by fmichael; 02-22-2009 at 03:30 PM.
fmichael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote