View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 02:56 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Judith,

Thanks for the kind words...... I do try very hard to be informative and I know I don't always share the best of news......:-(( But I believe everyone has the right to be informed as much as possible.

Would you mind sharing a little bit more information? It may help me understand your situation a little better.

1) Why were the teeth removed? Had they been root canaled previously or had any of them had apicoectomy surgery? Were they abcessed? Do you have periodontal disease?

2) Were the implants placed immediately at the time of the extractions? If not, did you wear a partial denture or have a temporary bridge during the healing phase from the extractions?

3) If the implants were not immediate, was the bone graft material placed at the time of the extractions or at the time of the implant placement?

4) What are you wearing in that space now?

5) Your quote: <<Over one tooth the gums are not closed over yet so I hope they will grow together in time >> Do you mean the one "implant" is exposed through the gum tissue??

Laser therapy can be very successful in many circumstances, as you well know from your leg wound. However, I am curious as to what the dentist used the laser on if the gum tissue is not closed over the "implant".

If you wouldn't mind sharing a bit more with us, I may be able to offer you some insight as to what that salty taste is.... ~'.'~

Bryanna

3)
Hi Bryanna:
Thank you for your comments and to give you a little more information as per your questions.
1) The teeth were removed as 48 years ago they were capped and shortly thereafter I had a lot of pain. Over the next 4 years each tooth abcessed and had very poor root canal work done. When the last tooth died I was fortunate to find myself in the hands of a young dentist training to be a surgeon who found the whole area above the teeth both roots a bone were infected. He immediately did surgery to remove the infection and thankfully saved the situation. However, the gums recessed and in a few years I had to replace the caps to cover the black margins. This was 40 years ago and I treated these teeth with TLC and managed to keep them all this time. However, when one broke recently it was clear all of them had some decay around the tops of the caps and it did not seem appropriate to try to affix new caps on these old teeth. Hence the decision to do extractions and implants. I do not have periodontal disease but the gums around these 4 teeth always looked somewhat grey in colour compared to the rest of my gums and this area was probably irritated by the bonding done over the last few years to cover the dark margins.
2) The implants were placed immediately when the extractions were done and some bone graft added. It was bovine material. I have a partial 'flipper' to use while the healing takes place over the next few months.
3) It seems at the time of extraction the dentist said he had to 'clean up the gums' and it left an area over one tooth which is like a gully up into the gum line. At my last visit, a week ago, the dentist said it was starting to heal now and it looks a bit better to me. Hopefully the gum will grow together over this area in time. I asked if I should massage the area with anything but was advised to leave it alone.
4) Could I also ask for your comments in general. I now have 4 teeth left with root canals and a total of 7 crowns. 4 of these crowns are nickle over my back lower molars. 3 of the crowns are procelain over gold. Now that titanium has been added to this mix of metals is this healthy for the long term or is it likley these metals may react badly together. May it be advisable to consider have the nickle crowns replaced?
At this time the salty taste is not has bad as it was and is worse when I do not have the partial in place. Once my tongue touches the area of the implants and metal covers it is certainly more annoying and may have to do with the metal.
I hope these comments clarify my circumstances. As you can tell I had bad teeth all my life the enamel was compromised when they came in due to high fevers I had as a child and probably bad nutrition in childhood, after the 2nd world war food was scarce and also dentists were not good in the UK.
Thanks for your help,
Sincerely, Judith C.
Judith C is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote