Old 02-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default Whose health care system is worse

Vini,

My sympathies to you and your family.

My daughter has disowned me because of a few outbursts. She sufferers from true PTSD from the Iraq War. She did a tour as a combat medic and saw some horrible sights. She was in the first vehicle when a IED exploded and killed a sweet gal in the second vehicle. She has never recovered from that event.

Your run-around by the medical establishment sounds like mine, except you were obviously very badly beaten. Managed or rationed health care does its best to find a reason to limit care. In my case, they say my injuries are not life threatening. Yours could easily have been life threatening. Regarding the CS Fluid leak, I understand that the usual process is to wait and see if the leak will self-seal. Intervention in too risky. Sometimes, if they can isolate the leak, they can inject some of your blood into the leak. The blood will then clot and plug the leak. Still a risky problem.

My wife and daughter both have a myriad of titanium plates in their faces. They needed reconstructive surgery due to congenital mandible and maxilla bone malformation. X-rays of their faces are quite interesting.

I can imagine how much recovery you had to go through as your face healed. Do you still look the same?

I had a parcel deliver man who got his face beat up by running into a tow truck that cut him off on his motorcycle. After he healed, he looked totally different. The doctors said he was lucky to be alive. I gather that you are too.

Hopefully, someone has helped you explain to your wife and daughter that your outbursts are caused by your brain injury. They can become very effective at helping you avoid the triggers that cause you to explode. Maybe you can teach them a secret word to use when they see you starting to build pressure. Redirecting your focus away from the trigger can be very effective. A sweet and loving daughter should be able to melt you with the right words.

Your daughter could ask for a hug or rub your hand. You can work with the brain injury therapist to find some techniques that work for you. I can get very loud. Did you read my work-around for airport security checkpoints? It is earlier in this thread or maybe it is on the Early Onset Alzheimer's Disease web site. Check out: http://alzheimers.infopop.cc/eve/for...343#5511083343

Post any questions you have about work-arounds or other accommodations. Your life will greatly improve when you learn how to deal with the rest of the world. Since brain injuries are mostly invisible, you need to be prepared to inform others of your needs. A note in your wallet explaining your neurological problems is the first thing you want to do. Print out a few copies so you can lose one if need be.
Mine says something like: "Please be patient with me. I have a brain injury that sometimes causes me to over-react in stressful situations. I can quickly get loud when someone yells at me or otherwise causes stress. Please help me avoid such situations. "

I use it when I need to get through a noisy airport.

I seriously encourage you to get started with nutritional therapy. B vitamins are very important to people like us. Our brains can easily need ten times what a normal person needs. Did your doctors advise you to eat high calorie foods while your facial injuries healed? My wife and daughter were eating almost 6000 calories a day while healing. All through a straw.
Your brain is the same. It will be in a state of healing for the rest of your life. It does not need calories as much as it need the proper nutrients, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, even fats. Brain tissue is similar to fat tissue.
Stay away from alcohol and mind altering medications unless prescribed by a very knowledgeable physician.

Find some books about living with a brain injured person. Your wife and daughter will benefit greatly. Read Dr. Glen Johnson's TBI Guide at www.tbiguide.com There are other books at Amazon etc.

Good luck to you and your family. You have all ready used up your quota of bad luck.

Mark in Idaho, USA

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote