Thread: My PN Saga
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 12:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you MrsD and dahlek for the great suggestions. I do need to place an order with iHerb, so will add the B1 to it. As for not going back to neuro, I just don't feel like he is willing to try more to maybe find an answer to my problem. I wonder why he did not mention Lyrica to see if this was something I wanted to try. Oh well, I took care of that.

HeyJoe – how long have you had this condition? I know what you mean about the bottoms and balls of your feet. I take 150mg of Lyrica in the a.m. and 150mg in the p.m. Depending of what I have done that day, I can always tell if I have waited too long to take the p.m. pill. Sometimes I have to take it before dinner and sometimes I can wait until I go to bed.

I was doing a drug interaction check http://www.medscape.com/druginfo/druginterchecker on everything I take and found a confliction between Tramadol and Prozac. I would like to stop the Prozac and start on, is it SAMe that would be appropriate here?

Severe Interaction
TRAMADOL/SSRI'S; DULOXETINE
Tramadol Oral and Prozac Oral may interact based on the potential interaction between TRAMADOL and SSRI'S; DULOXETINE.

Tramadol/Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors; Duloxetine
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.

MONOGRAPH TITLE: Tramadol/Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors; Duloxetine
SEVERITY LEVEL: 2-Severe Interaction: Action is required to reduce the risk of severe adverse interaction.

MECHANISM OF ACTION: The concurrent administration of tramadol and a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor or duloxetine, a selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, may result in additive blockade of serotonin reuptake, resulting in central serotonergic hyperstimulation. The selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and duloxetine may inhibit the metabolism of tramadol at CYP P-450-2D6, which may decrease its effectiveness by decreasing its transformation to its active metabolite, and may lower the seizure threshold.

CLINICAL EFFECTS: The concurrent administration may result in serotonin syndrome. Symptoms of serotonin syndrome may include irritability, altered consciousness, double vision, nausea, confusion, anxiety, hyperthermia, increased muscle tone, rigidity, myoclonus, rapid fluctuations in vital signs, and coma. Serotonin syndrome may result in death. Concurrent administration may also increase the risk of seizures and decrease the effectiveness of tramadol.

PREDISPOSING FACTORS: Predisposing factors include a history of seizures or epilepsy, a recognized risk for seizures (head trauma, metabolic disorders, alcohol, drug withdrawal, or infections of the central nervous system), or a genetic defect in CYP P-450-2D6.

PATIENT MANAGEMENT: If concurrent therapy is warranted, patients should be closely monitored for signs and symptoms of serotonin syndrome, seizure activity, and decreased tramadol effectiveness. Tramadol may need to be discontinued.
The manufacturer of duloxetine states that concurrent use of tramadol is not recommended.(1)

I have gotten much support, information, suggestions, ideas to try and I THANK YOU all very much.

diana
dlshaffer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote