View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 01:55 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Friend with MS died this weekend....

My husband's boss was dx'd with PPMS about 5 years ago. Within a year he was in a wheelchair and by the time I was dx'd 3 years ago, he was no longer able to work, was almost completely paralyzed and mostly confined to his home.

He was a big biker dude, but from what I understand, a real teddy bear. His neuro told him that unfortunately, MS would take him before anything else... and he was correct.

My husband spoke with him on Tuesday while he was helping him get some cable and internet issues resolved. In hindsight, he says that he seemed really up beat and clear headed (which is amazing considering the amount and type of pain meds he was on - I believe he had recently started on morphine). He tried calling him again on Wednesday for an update but couldn't get a hold of him. On Thursday his wife called to say that he had had a stroke and it wasn't looking good. He only woke up for 15 minutes and couldn't recognize anyone.

Yesterday my husband recieved a call from his company to let him know that his previous boss, his friend had passed away. He called his wife and she told him that he had passed peacefully in his sleep Saturday night.

I had never met him, but through this disease, we had become friends of sorts. I have been crying for a man I never met. My husband was friends with him for over 10 years, but in some ways, I believe I knew him a little bit better, or differently at least. We had an understanding of this horrible disease that no one can know unless they live with it.

I'm not really sure why I feel the need to post about this, except that I'm feeling overwhelmed with emotions and I'm not sure what to do about them.

I do know that I will never feel sorry for myself again when I have to give myself my Rebif shot. I will thank God that I have this medication and that for the time being, it is keeping me at RRMS.

He told my husband a while back that he was ready to go. Maybe he was just waiting for those who loved him to be ready as well.

Rest in peace, Don...

Please let me be the person my dog thinks I am.

My dog is not my whole life... she makes my life whole.
Blondi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (02-23-2009), Niko (02-23-2009), SallyC (02-23-2009), soxmom (02-23-2009), Twinkletoes (02-23-2009)