View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 10:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Ransa,

I had a concussion in 2005. After a year of not being able to stand up straight, shut my eyes in the shower without falling over not being able to walk a straight line and my head spinning almost nonstop, I finally got the help I needed. I had perfect balance prior to the concussion. I mean at 52 I still could do a back bend and do a head stand oh and I enjoyed doing cartwheels..I was tested and diagnosed with vestibular disorder. I've been going to therapy since that time. I go about once a month and it really has helped. I 'sense' when I'm unbalanced and am most of the time able to adjust. I've learned a lot of little things to help me live a quote 'normal' life. There is help out there....and I do know that every case is different, some worse and some better...but don't give up hope and we have a tendency to learn to get 'around' the problems/issues.

I understand that I will never completely go back to the way I was before the fall, but I don't give up I do the exercises and I pratice constantly. When waiting for an elevator, I walk with one foot in front of the other (only if no one is around because I look like a drunk walking the line for the police after being stopped- Smiles) and when I go down a hall with no obstacles, I walk turning my head left to right while walking (or trying to walk) a straight line. there are other exercises I do. I have issues (don't know what it is called) but my eyes jump up and down really fast. After my concussion I wondered why my contacts were constantly popping out...I wear glasses now *smiles* I play computer games to help with that, still unable to read a book and remember it plus that makes my head hurt worse....I also have short term memory problems, unable to learn new things, forget everything!!! people around me are very supportive, well eveyone who is close to me is supportive, work in another story. Yes I'm still working or at least trying to work. I have a lot of problems doing the same type job I've been doing since the early 1970's. My bosses at work are very frustrated with me at this point (it's been since 2005 - their reaction Why isn't she better?!) I'm not fired yet, waiting for that every day.... but once again, I was really, really good at my job before my fall. I was a Type A super smart, and well organized. Notice I said 'was'

I didn't mean to ramble on so, but yes from what I understand vestibular issues can go hand in hand with concussion. I don't tremble and I just sway very much like if you have had too much to drink and you can't stand straight and if you lay down in the bed when drunk the room spins. Of course no nice glass of wine with dinner now, makes the balance issue much much worse. No going on concerts, festivals anywhere where there is a lot of movement and noise. That makes it worse. When I walk, I focus on the ground, looking up is not an option, I loose my balance.

At this moment in time, I'm pretty angry about the whole thing. That too is something you go through, anger, acceptance and back and forth. The main thing is to try and not let it take over your life. Stop and smell the roses so to speak.

Take care, get to therapy....it really does help.

I've said it more than once, this neighborhood is a life saver for me. I went from 2005 to last April with no support group and I thought I was crazy. Until I found this place.

Well, I've done it again, I've written a short story *smiles*.

Melek
melek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
shezbut (02-23-2009), vini (02-24-2009)