View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 12:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi ya!
As Erin said, I had a normal scan and my neuros (three different doctors in two countries) have all refused to do any surgery - they say it isn't necessary. My blood work all came back positive for MG antibodies (or whatever it is they test for) BUT my repetative nerve test weren't very conclusive. When I was first diagnosed my symptoms were "apparently" quite mild (although they didn't feel mild when I fell down a few flights of stairs when my legs gave out on me)! I have worsened over the years and now am up to moderate on the mg scale.

My eyes are definitely worse when I'm tired and sunny days or flourescent lighting can really bother them. I worked as a manager of GAP when I was first diagnosed (while I was in University) and I would really struggle in the harsh mall lighting - especially at the end of a long shift.

You asked if you have had it for awhile - usually symptoms become prevalent in women between the ages of 20 - 30 (I was bang on 25 when diagnosed, but looking back at photos my eyes had been slightly drooping since about 16). For some reason men seem to show their symptoms later (between 50 and 60). There are some types of MG though which don't follow this pattern and (as with everything) there are exceptions to every rule! Because so much of MG has to do with fatigue of muscles there is a good chance you have had the condition for awhile and have just been attributing your symptoms to other pre-exisiting conditions (e.g. your carpal tunnel) or normal wear and tear! MG is not a condition which progressively gets worse, but it does change. Take me for example - I was okay for the first 3 years of MG, just taking mestinon every 4 hours, then I got worse for whatever reason and now I'm on azathioprine, pred and mestinon every 3 hours. I'm so much stronger now than a year ago and SO grateful everyday!

Hope some of my rambling helps! Take care of yourself!
~Kathy
Scots Kat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote