View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 12:52 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslday View Post
Dear friends,

Part of having RSD is this whole issue of insomnia so I thought I would start a thread about what if anything others have been able to do to help with sleeping problems.

I was taken off trazodone last year because it was thought to be causing increased blood pressure and my blood pressure did return to normal. My PM doc switched me to oxazapam 30 mg. at bed time. Generally I sleep well with this but if I try to lower the dose or just don't take it I can't get the deep REM sleep, I toss and turn all night. I have been known to take 60 mg on nights when my rsd is flared badly. I'm concerned about long term effects of taking this medication including addiction. If it is possible I would like to try to find a non pharmacological way to manage this better.

Does anyone here have any tips for improving sleep naturally?

Thanks.

MsL
Hi MsL,
I have a natural remedy book that indicates a "cocktail" of Vit. C, Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc and Melatonin (a particular brand or kind has been mentioned here on this forum, but it escapes me at the moment) at bedtime will aid in better sleep. It did used to work for me for several years until my insomnia became chronic. Medicinally, I have been on first Seroquel 25mg at bedtime (with EXCELLENT results.....a WONDERFUL solid 8 hours of sleep with no groggy feeling) and now Elavil at bedtime (with lesser results in being able to stay asleep).

I have the same problem with tossing and turning and waking up at every noise or change in light (even that coming from the phone being on the charger). Ambien and Lunesta do NOTHING for me (which is why they tried me on the "atypical" sleep inducers in the first place).....nor does Klonopin and muscle relaxants alone. Pain pills actually KEEP me awake so I try not to take them close to bedtime.

Mike, my dear husband also has severe sleep apnea and uses a CPAP. The same situation in our home......his snoring kept me awake before the CPAP and now the machine hissing keeps me awake, so he and I have to sleep apart as well. I look forward to him being able to have the surgery to correct the condition in the first place so we can snuggle to sleep again (assuming my sore feet will allow)!!

I am a firm believer in getting plenty of rest at night. I think the lack thereof is a common problem for most of us with RSD and may exacerbate our symptoms and pain levels. I hope you find what works best for you!! Best wishes!!
MominPainRSD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mslday (02-26-2009)